A place for free designer tools that increase productivity and inspiration. This is a collection of software, web-based applications, blogs and websites that will equip you with all the tools you need to ace your mock-up projects.

Monday, November 23, 2009

Online Storage


"Online storage? To store back-ups and other archives?" No, no, no. Not that kind of online storage. I'm talking about the kind that runs as a remote access drive, in real-time, allowing you to access your files from anywhere. In this post I'll talk about the benefits you could enjoy by switching to online storage and we'll look at a couple companies that offer this kind of service.

I recently started looking for online storage solutions to host my music library, have it stream to my iPhone over the 3G network and eliminate the need for me to sync with iTunes libraries which can be a real pain and cause a big mess.So I tried using DropBox (which also has an iPhone app).


DropBox installs itself as a folder, but all of it's content is accessible through the DropBox website and to who ever you decide to share a folder with. The free accounts offer 2GB of disk space, with an additional 250MB for every friend referral. If that's not enough space they also offer a 50GB and a 100GB plan which run at $9.99 and $19.99/month respectively.
I had issues with streaming music to my iPhone through DropBox and I wasn't exactly ready to put that much money into online storage so I kept looking.

Another online storage solution I found is ZumoDrive, which mounts itself as a remote drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Student in Marketing and Graphic Design at the University of Utah, a vegetarian citizen-of-the-world tech junkie. Likes: music, art, philosophy, computers, the Internet, mountains and travel.